7/15/13

The Alphabet of Cosmetics


If you have stepped foot in Ulta, a drugstore, or near a cosmetic counter lately, you may have taken notice that cosmetic shelves have become littered with the letters of the alphabet. So what’s all the hype with these BB creams, CC creams, and DD Creams? Are they worth your dime? What do they do? Which one should I buy? No worries because this girl has got you covered.

BB Creams originated from East Asia and have become quite the hype in the U.S. over the past two years. They are known as “beauty balms” which are all-in-one products with a moisturizer, foundation, sunscreen, and primer. BAM an all in one product! BB creams are lighter than foundation, but heavier than tinted moisturizers. A tinted moisturizer on steroids if you know what I mean. They are perfect worn alone for a day at the beach. It’s enough coverage, but not too much and has a beautiful texture. For an everyday look you can wear it alone or layer it under your foundation for a flawless face. A favorite drugstore brand of mine that won’t break the pocket book is Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream. It’s crazy affordable and comes in shades from light to deep. It brightens, evens skin tone, smoothes, hydrates, enhances, and protects from the sun. Sounds like a bargain to me!
 
We like to think of the CC cream as a polished version of the BB cream. Whether you choose a CC cream verses a BB cream will depend on your skincare needs. CC stands for “color control.” CC creams are great for people with uneven skin tones and diminishing all over redness. They are lighter and fluffier on the skin than a BB cream. The CC cream that I cannot live without is the Smashbox Camera Ready CC Cream. It helps reduce my uneven skin tone and act as a tinted primer to prep my skin for my foundation. It has a buttery texture that goes on shear and seamlessly. It also has an amazing powerful 30 SPF.
 
 


Just when you thought it couldn’t possibly go anywhere from here, it kicks up another notch. DD Creams just hit the cosmetic industry in June 2013.  The “dynamic-do-all” does just what it says. It is the powerful combo of the BB and CC cream that moisturizes, primes, protects, and perfects the face. It is great for people with blemishes and imperfections with a buildable sheen formula. The two different anti-aging ingredients promise to perfect your skin now and over time. Julup DD Cream is the only product on the market with many more to trickle in behind it.
 


So what product is right for you? Go for a BB cream if you want an amped-up tinted moisturizer, a CC cream if you want color correction, and a DD cream if you are focusing on anti-aging properties. 
I hear ya, there are so many different brands to pick from. I have given you my faves and you can also visit amazon.com for the latest product reviews. Any and all questions and comments are welcome so please do respond! Thank you all for visiting and please do share any topics you would like me to cover in my future posts. Stay tuned for some fun posts and giveaways to come!

<3 Ash

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. So Ashley, what does a man in his mid 50's do to keep his boyish good looks? lol I do use sunscreen just about everyday, so I think that helps, but other than that I don't use any moisturizers or skin care products..... would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Congrats on the blog also.... Good for you. Maybe me and Big Mike can both benefit from your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please refer to my comment to your reply below Dawn's post! It showed up there instead of here. Thanks for commenting and keep them coming ;)

      Delete
  2. Very informative! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I am a sucker for organic coconut oil that you can get at the health food store or order online. It is a great moisturizer for your face and entire body. It can feel a bit greasy, but the skin absorbs it quite quickly. No matter if you are oily or not, male or female, you must apply a moisturizer daily. Every morning I use my CeraVe moisturizing cream from Meijer. CeraVe has a great product line at most drugstores that is very affordable. CeraVe has many different moisturizers to choose from depending on your skin type (ie. dry, sensative, combination). Pick what's right for your skin type. I also wash my face with CeraVe cleansing products morning and night with my Clarisonic Mia 2 cleansing tool. I plan to blog on my Clarisonic tool soon! It's a must in my skincare routine. After I wash my face at night, I apply my coconut oil for my moisturizer and definately on and around my eyes to prevent wrinkles. You can read more on coconut oil on my previous blog post. And if you plan on being outside for even an hour, make sure you apply your sunscreen! If you wear moisturizer with SPF 30, it usually does not provide enough coverage. If you need a good one, I am a fan of all Neutrogena sunscreens for the face.

    Whew that was A LOT! When it comes down to it, wash your face morning and night, apply moisturizer on your face at least once daily, wear your broad spectrum SPF 50 on your face when in the sun, and it doesn't hurt to spoil yourself with a microdermabrasion or facial a few times a year! Groupoon has great coupons frequently for facials. Hope this helps! Keep the questions coming! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the blog!! Interested to know if you have tried Latisee for lashes and whether or not you would recommend it? Ive heard great things but read the side effect list and it can apparently turn your eyes a brown spotted color...any thoughts??:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I will be blogging about this today so stay tuned!

      Delete