11/4/13

Foundation Tips

Hi Dolls!
 
Hope your weekend was fabulous! I just have to say, GO GREEN GO WHITE GO STATE!
 
Not sure about you all, but I LOVE MAKEUP! Kind of obsessed you could say. My bathroom pretty much revolves around it. It's everywhere! My poor husband, haha! He is so sweet though...he bought me a great shelving unit to keep it all organized and try to stay clean.
Me keeping my space clean and organized other than work, pry not! 
My hubby is really great about my hot mess clutter of beauty necessities. 
We have 3 bathrooms in our house and he chooses to share the master bath with me! His problem, not mine :)~
Lets hope he doesn't read this post!!
 
Foundation, god love it! It is the best war paint ever invented. Truly has the ability to transform a face.
Though, it can be tricky finding the best coverage and color for your skin. Most of us are not wearing the correct Undertone, cool or warm.
No worries, it's actually quite simple.
 
Cool Undertones
Roll up your sleeves and take a look at the inside of your wrists. If you have cool undertones, you will notice your skin has a pink, red, or blue tinge to it.
Take a look at your veins on the inside of your forearm. Are they blue or green? 
If they look more blue, you are rocking the cool tones.
 
Warm Undertones
Are you a warm one? You will notice your skin has a yellow, gold, or peach hue to it. If the veins on the inside of your forearm are green, you are a warm undertone.

Take for example my LOREAL Foundation below. At the very bottom of the bottle you see the words "warm" for warm undertone skin. 
 
 
Also peak at the top or bottom of the foundation for undertone specifics.
"W" is for warm and 5 is for the level of color.
Color level will depend on how light or dark you need to buy.
When your dealing with drugstore makeup where you can't test it on your skin before buying, sometimes it's just trial and error when it comes to your color level.

 
Neutral Undertones
Are you none of the above? Don't worry there is a tone for you!  You are neutral if your skin is neither pink/red/blue nor yellow/gold/peach, but somewhere in between. And better yet, your veins are blue-green.

Each foundation line caters to Undertones so be sure and read your labels.
 
Oily Skin
Look for a foundation that is "oil-free", oil-control" or "mattifying."
 
Dry Skin
Look for moisturizing foundations. Look for the words "hydrating" or "moisture-rich" wording on the bottle.
 
Combination Skin
You are a combination of dry and oily skin. Cream-to-powder bases work great.
 
Sensitive Skin
Mineral foundations work well on all skin types, especially for those that are sensitive.
 
Coverage: Do You Want Light, Medium or Heavy?
I like to choose a lighter coverage for spring and summer months and heavier, creamier coverage for the colder months
If you have nice skin, but want to even out your skin tone, tinted moisturizers are great.
Having sensitive skin, uneven skin tone, and being prone to breakouts, I definitely always use a medium coverage in the winter. Most medium coverage foundations have the ability to build to full-coverage. Usually in the summer I can get away with a great CC Cream. My favorite being Smashbox's CC Cream.
I have still yet to find my perfect winter medium-full coverage foundation. I have been trying lots for you! So far I am still sold on the 24-hr Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation.
I have a couple foundations to add to my list to try this winter, Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation and Lock-It Tattoo Foundation by Kat Von D, both have rave reviews.

Hope this helped all of you a bit. If your ever in doubt, treat yourself to a trip to the makeup counters at Macy's and let the professionals help. If there is one thing to spend money on in your makeup kit, I recommend it be foundation.

Please message me if you have any questions or requests for a future post!

Have yourselves a great week!

HUGS!

<3Ash
 



 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley! I remembered you mentioning your blog, so with a quick search I found it! Great stuff here! :) Pertaining to foundation...I will occasionally wear it for special events/photos/etc...but thanks to RF, I'm thankful to go foundation-free most days. I spent years covering my skin due to my clogged pores and acne...so now that it's all healed up...there's nothing to hide. :) Looking forward to reconnecting tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to know other girl's makeup rituals!
    I love FIT by Maybeline and Revlon's Photo ready!
    Kat | www.poshbykat.com

    ReplyDelete